National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
About the NDIS
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a signiﬁcant change to the way people with disability are funded and supported by the Government.
Under the NDIS, an Indvidualised Plan will be created for each customer based on the goals they want to achieve, the supports they require and the provider that will deliver these supports.
Funding will be given directly to the person with a disability, rather than a service provider, to give them control over the decision-making process.
As the NDIS rolls out across Australia, Community Solutions looks forward to working with current and new customers to make their possibilities a reality. If you, or one of your family members, has a disability and you want to know more about how Community Solutions can assist you, please read on for further information and contact details.
When is the NDIS coming to me?
The NDIS launched in Queensland in Townsville in July 2016 and has continued to roll out to a number of additional Queensland regions to this day. By July 2019, the scheme will operate Queensland-wide.
Am I eligible?
The NDIS is available to people with physical and/or intellectual disabilities, as well as those who are living with mental health (psychosocial disability) that significantly impacts their life.
There are a number of factors that will determine eligibility for NDIS supports. You may be eligible for an individual support plan if:
- you have a permanent or significant disability that significantly affects your ability to take part in everyday activities
- you are under 65 years of age at the time you enter the NDIS
- you are an Australia citizen, a permanent resident, or New Zealand citizen who is a Protected Special Category Visa holder
- Live in a region where the NDIS is available
I’m eligible, how do I prepare?
Step one: Think about the possibilities that you want to achieve
The planning process covers your needs, goals and aspirations in all areas of your life and you can choose to have family, carers, friends or others to be part of your decision-making and planning process. Take the time to think about your aspirations under the NDIS.
Step two: Contact Community Solutions for assistance
If you are an existing Community Solutions customer with one of our transitioning NDIS programs, we can work with you to prepare for the NDIS. Community Solutions is part of Endeavour Foundation, and together we want to make your NDIS planning experience as easy as possible.
- Community Solutions can assist you and your family to develop a NDIS Planning Report. Your report will detail current support, care required, accommodation requirements, employment goals, allied health requirements and your goals and aspirations. You and the NDIS will receive a copy of the report.
- Community Solutions is here to support you and your family through the NDIS journey. If you have any questions about the NDIS and the planning process please don’t hesitate to contact our NDIS team on 1300 770 145.
- We offer one-on-one pre-planning sessions to current customers to assist you and your family in preparing for the first meeting with the NDIA planner or Local Area Coordinator.
- We are able to support you and your family during your planning meeting. Please note that decisions about your plan will be made by yourself and the NDIS planner or Local Area Coordinator.
Step three: Develop and implement your NDIS plan
Your NDIA planner will contact you to arrange a meeting so that they can understand your goals and hear about the services you would like to receive into the future, which make include things like employment assistance, social activities, living arrangements and much more. Your planner will also ask you about the services you receive now.
You should take a completed pre-planning booklet, along with other relevant documentation, to this meeting. Don’t worry if you are not sure what documents to bring. If there are any gaps, your planner will ask you to provide this later.
As part of the planning process, you get to decide what works best for you in putting your plan into action and managing funding and service providers that best suit your needs. You may choose to: manage the funding yourself; nominate someone to manage your funding for you; use a registered plan management provider or the NDIA.
Community Solutions can connect you to supports as part of Support Coordination. This can be funded through your NDIS plan.
Step four: Undertake annual reviews
Your NDIS plan will be reviewed with your planner at agreed review dates. If you wish to make changes sooner, you can request a review at any time.
If you have Improved Daily Living Skills funding in your current NDIS plan, Community Solutions can support you through the annual review process. Please contact Community Solutions on 1300 770 145 to discuss.
Who can I talk to for further information?
If you, or one of your family members has a disability and you want to know more about how Community Solutions can assist you under the NDIS, please call 1300 770 145.